Wednesday, June 6, 2012

What we used to call "Homework"

In a traditional classroom, the teacher teaches during the hour and gives homework for students to practice the skills.  In a flipped classroom, how will students practice their skills.  The precalculus teachers came up with an idea of "Mastery Problems" instead of homework.  These problems will be given to students in class.  The problems will be divided into 3 levels of difficulty.  Level 1 will have low level questions to get students ready to answer the questions that involve a little more thought.  Level 2 and 3 homework will involve higher level thinking.  Students will be told that the chapter tests will mostly have questions in level 2 with a small percentage of questions coming from level 1 and 3.  Students will choose which problems to do, but all students must be working during classtime.

This is our idea.  Let me know how you assign practice in a flipped classroom.  Also, let me know if you have any other ideas.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the "Mastery Problems" ideas... that would take more planning on our part as teachers to get that set up and organized for each lesson, but I think it would be worth it. Definitely something I'll think about over the summer!

    Right now, I just have the problem set, but I don't organize it by levels for the students, so sometimes they will try 2 probs, think they got it, and then take my quiz to get a waiver... not realizing there are harder problems later in the assignment. Separating them into levels would help with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As we develop this idea, I will post our problems on a website so you can see if they are something that can work in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete